There is no search box on the current version of MPOW's website. After failing at finding an updated breakdown of "search-dominant" users v.s. "link dominant users", I distracted myself by looking at other academic library websites to how many have one or more search boxes on their home page.
And what struck me was that I there is no consistency out there on the matter.
Out of the 20 libraries I looked at,
- 7 had no search box at all
- 6 had multiple search boxes available through tab browsing
- 3 had multiple search boxes on the same page
- 2 had a search box for the catalogue and links to other search options
- 1 had a multiple search boxes available through a drop down menu
- 1 had one search box for everything
The search options were offered for:
- journal articles, books, subjects
- library catalogue, journal articles, course reserves, google scholar, library website
- library catalogue, this site, e-journals, reserves
- catalogue, article/databases, e-journals, subject guides
- catalogue, articles, e-jorunals, e-resources
- catalogue, articles, eresources, reserves
- catalogue, journal titles, articles, library website
I am now looking for statistics to back up my pre-conception that most of our users come to the library website to find articles and not books.
This research process is generating more questions than answers.